Ontraport vs Infusionsoft: The Definitive 2020 Comparison
We’re all busy, so let me cut right to the chase. Everybody and their uncle can make long lists of features, but it takes guts and expertise and experience to make an actual recommendation. So here is mine:
I recommend Ontraport over Infusionsoft by Keap. There, I said it.
Before I continue, I also gonna say this: Some of the links below are affiliate links. That means if you click on them and purchase items or services linked to, in some cases I will receive a referral commission.
This will never increase the cost for you, but it helps support this site and allows me to continue to provide free, well researched content. I only recommend products that I have experience with and use (or used to use) in my own business. Thank you for your support!
And with that out of the way….
As a certified consultant who is certified on both platforms, I spend all day, every day, deep in the belly of these two beasts, so yes, I actually DO know what I’m talking about, thanks for asking.
So, if you want to save yourself some hassle and a lot of heartache, forget about Infusionsoft by Keap right now, go ahead, and register for a free 14 day Ontraport trial, use it, be amazed by the elegance, speed and feature completeness of Ontraport, and never look back.
OR get an Infusionsoft demo, try it out for a while, maybe get excited about one of their “really cool discounts” like “30% off for the first 3 months” (lol), then sign up and get started with one of their mandatory, several $k Kickstarter packages, and THEN, over time find out that they somehow got stuck in the late 90s and that for the rest of your life you will need a whole array of 3rd party apps in addition to Infusionsoft to make it do anything that you rightfully expect from a modern marketing automation system. End of rant (takes deep breath).
I’m actually far too busy to be offering this, but I am so convinced that Ontraport is the better value, better technology, better functionality, better company culture choice for small businesses, that I will give anyone 2 hours of free consulting ($300 value) plus other bonuses who signs up for a paid Ontraport account using my offer page. Conditions apply! – Learn how it works.
Don’t get me wrong. Infusionsoft can do stuff, too. It’s not all bad. It is powerful, and it has literally thousands of very successful businesses (success stories anyone?) under its belt…
But so does Ontraport (more success stories anyone?) I am serving dozens of businesses who are running Infusionsoft, I even run parts of my own business still with Infusionsoft.
At some point, after a few years, it is simply less painful to stick with what you have than to switch and to recreate all assets somewhere else. But if you start from zero, then you might as well start with the technologically better system that also gives you far more bang for the buck.
But yeah, please don’t just take my word for it. Below you will find a pretty thorough feature comparison and evaluation by category.
Perhaps the most thorough Infusionsoft by Keap vs Ontraport comparison, and based on actual work experience. Enjoy the deep dive!
Ontraport and Infusionsoft by Keap are the most relevant all-in-one marketing automation tools for small businesses today – they combine the power of CRM, e-Commerce, affiliate tracking and sophisticated automation, bundled into one affordable platform.
In 2019 the company Infusionsoft re-branded as “Keap” and released a new product also named “Keap”, catering to very small businesses with focus on ease of implementation.
The product formerly known as “Infusionsoft” is now called “Infusionsoft by Keap” which is an entirely different product catering to larger service providers with focus on power.
On this website we only cover “Infusionsoft by Keap” because the product “Keap” plays in a different, smaller league.
This comparison is the result of years of experience of working with both systems.
In-depth Comparison by Certified Expert
Hi there, I’m Sarit Neundorf, and I’m one of very few people in the world who are Certified Experts for BOTH Ontraport AND Infusionsoft by Keap. I have used both platforms extensively in my own businesses, and I have helped hundreds of business owners with strategic planning, implementation and optimization on both programs. So, yes, I do know what I’m talking about…
The Lowdown – Quick Overview For Busy People
Both systems are powerful tools that can completely revolutionize your business. They are comparable in their philosophy and approach, and both systems are being used by very prolific and successful marketers. As of today, however, I am clearly recommending Ontraport as the better all-in-one Sales and Marketing Automation platform.
Ontraport is getting better and better – quickly.
Infusionsoft by Keap, despite large-scale funding and employing a huge team, is, inexplicably, just too slow to deliver what their customers need and are repeatedly asking for.
With Infusionsoft by Keap, you will require a whole stack of costly 3rd party apps to achieve some of the most basic tasks, like modern looking forms, pages, split-testing, text messaging, field math, the list goes on and on.
Attempts at rolling out important features that should be considered standard, sometimes take years, if they happen at all, and when they happen they are often half-baked or 2-3 years behind their competitors (I have so many examples for that, it is really painful).
In the PAST I used to recommend Infusionsoft by Keap over Ontraport for most users, simply because Infusionsoft by Keap had a visual campaign builder and Ontraport did not.
From a technology, power and versatility standpoint Ontraport has been superior to Infusionsoft by Keap for quite a while, but – prior to the introduction of their campaign builder – it was a really hard system to configure if you weren’t a techie-geek.
Then Ontraport rolled out their visual campaign builder, which is a KILLER building tool AND a killer reporting/analytics tool in ONE. In my opinion it is the best builder in the industry.
And, boy, does it make Infusionsoft by Keap’s builder look sad in comparison. The visual campaign builder made such impact that it put Ontraport again on the headlines for being a Bronze winner in the prestigious Best in Biz Awards for Best New Product Feature of the Year – Enterprise/SMB category.
Watching Ontraport’s campaign builder / campaign reporting in action made it really clear to me that Ontraport gets stuff done.
They listen, they research, they care about their customers’ experience, and they are small enough yet tenacious enough to roll stuff out in short time with a really small team of motivated folks.
In a nutshell, I believe that Ontraport is the more modern and more powerful system, and it offers FAR better value for your money in terms of built in functionality and feature richness.
The only aspect where (in my humble opinion) Infusionsoft by Keap is stronger than Ontraport, is that it has a bigger, stronger ecosystem of 3rd party apps, integrations and consultants.
This, of course, is the super short version. Please spend as much time as you like on this page, and use the detailed comparison below to form your own opinion and make a decision which of these tools is the best fit for you and your business.
The biggest PAIN and PLEASURE points
Here is a list of the biggest “gotchas” from a daily practice point of view that will shed some light on the Ontraport vs Infusionsoft by Keap debate.
The PLEASURE points are features that will delight you, turn you on, excite you and make you sing “Hallelujah” each time you realize that they are available and/or you use them.
The PAIN points are these daily “WTF!?” moments when you think “How is it possible that this is so clumsy or not even there at all?”
Ontraport Pleasure Points
- Game-changing, award winning, state-of-the art visual campaign builder with serious visual reporting and analytics capabilities (and an industry-first “Projection Mode” to predict the impact that changes in strategy will have)
- “Ontrapages” landing-page builder to create mobile responsive forms, landing pages, order pages, forms and entire websites and membership sites.
- Ontraforms mobile responsive, great looking modal forms with a wide range of display options and proper in-line validation.
- Ontramail mobile responsive email editor
- Built in A-B-C-D split testing for everything: emails, sms, post cards, landing pages, even entire campaigns
- Built-in 2-way text messaging
- Built-in 1-click upsell
- Built-in Membership Sites functionality: build entire membership sites with tiered and protected content right there in Ontrapages, or alternatively use the native “PilotPress” WordPress plugin to protect your WordPress content. No expensive 3rd party apps!
- Task Outcome Automation – trigger different follow up automation based on the outcome of a user task
- Custom objects with 1-to-1, 1-to-many and many-to-many relationships that allow you to build custom data objects in addition to the basic “contact” object
- Webhook API integration (receive data from many other cloud services who can send webhooks, without the need to invest in a 3rd party connector like Zapier)
- Completely customizable Card View to build any kind of structured pipeline (not just deals/opportunities)
- Built in Stripe Integration (and other popular merchants) so that you can immediately start collecting payments with ease almost anywhere in the world (compare with Infusionsoft by Keap Pain Points)
- Facebook connect (1-click opt in)
- Built-in Facebook Custom Audience integration
- Rules that watch everything you can imagine
- Built-in tracking of website visits by data base contacts (which can then trigger an action)
- Personalized URLs (PURLS)
- Built-in Postcards (US only)
- Personal coupon codes (one-time use, can be set to expire on specific date or amount of time after creation)
- Group coupon codes can be limited in number
- Private IP possible (extra fee)
- Attractive subscription management page
- Built-in leadsource tracking with UTM variables
- Conditional logic on forms (not yet on the new Ontraforms, but the old “smart” forms)
- Easily add fields to order forms
- Lead scoring with tons of conditions and automatic degradation
- Dashboard widgets are very flexible for reporting
Infusionsoft by Keap Pleasure Points
- Visual campaign builder that makes configuring campaigns drag-and-drop easy but sadly hasn’t seen any development in many years and is quite lame compared to Ontraport’s. Campaign reporting is super rudimentary, and it is very limited in trigger and action types and manipulation of CRM data.
- My Day productivity tool – calendar, tasks etc. in one, nice looking location for enhanced productivity
- “Full” Shopping Cart (but very rudimentary, chances are you will need to invest in a 3rd party shopping cart)
- Great Mobile App to see all contact data on the go, set tags, add tasks etc.
- Take mobile payments via mobile app and proprietary card reader.
- Opportunity Management and Sales Pipeline is an “ok” functionality add-on, but again, lags far behind Ontraport’s features. It is severely limited in automation capabilities – all you can do is trigger some follow-up automation when an opportunity is moved between stages, but no manipulation of opportunity values through automation is impossible, and inexplicably you can’t even merge opportunity data into emails, so what’s the point?
- Huge marketplace of 3rd party apps, Certified Consultants and dozens of free campaigns that you can import into your app with one click
Ontraport Pain Points
- No tag categories (grouping of tags only by exact naming convention and filtering – a minor inconvenience that requires proper planning and naming of tags)
- Fewer reliable 3rd party apps to enhance functionality beyond the built in features. Rudimentary Zapier integration (but growing).
Infusionsoft by Keap Pain Points
- Despite enormous funding they are very slow at fixing things or adding highly requested features. (e.g. customizable order forms)
- A lot of things that you would think should be there out of the box are not only not there, but also downright difficult to achieve (unless you get a 3rd party add on, some custom API programming or know how to “hack” HTML and CSS.)
- Extremely limited forms and pages. After not offering anything mobile responsive for years, we’re finally seeing some attempts in providing modern-ish landing pages with the 2017 release of a new landing page builder (which is a good step in the right direction, but lagging SO FAR behind Ontrapages, and it is buggy and annoying as hell)
Forms (that are not part of the new landing page builder) are a complete joke – not responsive, no in-line form validation (instead a hideous screen if you made a mistake). Completely unacceptable in this day and age.
- Order forms are very hard to configure and only mildly responsive (and I’m still waiting for a native terms & conditions checkbox, 6 years and counting)
- No integration with Stripe payment gateway. This is a huge annoyance if you’re located “in the (wrong) rest of the world”. Infusionsoft by Keap is offering their own easy-to-apply-for merchant gateway “Infusionsoft by Keap Payments” to customers in US, Canada, UK, Australia, at similar conditions as Stripe/Paypal BUT if you’re in ANY other country in the world you may have to jump through many hoops to get a proper merchant account that integrates with Infusionsoft by Keap. I have seen dozens of frustrated Infusionsoft by Keap clients try to get a payment gateway that works in their country, even though they already HAD Stripe. Sure, there’s a 3rd party add-on to link Infusionsoft by Keap to Stripe, but that’s another $47/mo right there, just to get a service that Ontraport provides right out of the gate. It will add up.
Feature Comparison by Category
In this detailed feature comparison by category I explain the features, what’s good and what’s bad about them, and the “winning” feature is marked in BOLD typeface.
If you’re pressed for time, then just glance over the columns below and notice which of the two products has more bold text in them. Do you see a pattern emerge?
- Great, flexible, fully customizable CRM, including a powerful concept for company and opportunity / deals records with many trigger types, data manipulation and merging of company/deals data into emails, text messages etc.
- B2B-enabled CRM with company records and opportunities. Slick “Kanban style” Card View for opportunities and deals. All company and deal data can be used as triggers, can be manipulated, and can be used in emails and text messages.(
- Fully customizable “Quick View” for contacts to show you only the data that you want to see.
- Freely customizable Card View to arrange ANY contact data into cards that can be moved between “stages” per drag and drop
- Custom data objects (starting at Pro level) that can be linked in 1-to-1, 1-to-many and many-to-many relationships. Linked data can be used in automation. This is very unique and powerful. (Read more…)
- Contacts can enter through one-click Facebook connect
- 150 Custom Fields (per object type)
- Layout of the CRM part is fully customizable in tabs, sections and fields (standard and custom fields)
Infusionsoft by Keap CRM
- B2B-enabled CRM with company records and opportunities. Inferior functionality – limited triggers, and no manipulation or merging of company/opportunity data into emails.
- No way to create new object types, create relationships between them and use data from a connected data set inside automation other than with a 3rd party app. Check out Macanta, it is THE best (and only) 3rd party app that will make Infusionsoft by Keap do what Ontraport has built in (starting at Pro level)
- 100 Custom fields per record type (100 fields for contact records, 100 for company records, 100 for orders, 100 for opportunities etc.)
- Layout of the CRM is not customizable, and pretty cluttered / overwhelming because . Only custom fields can be rearranged on the custom tabs, which is cumbersome.
Marketing and Automation
Ontraport Marketing and Automation
- Ontrapages – a mobile responsive landing page buildersimilar to LeadPages
- Ontramail – mobile responsive customizable email templates
- Extremely convenient, integrated A/B/C/D split testing for everything – landing pages, forms, emails, postcards.
- Leading edge visual campaign builder tool with very strong built in campaign reporting
- Facebook Custom Audience integration
- Printed post cards (full-color on both sides, UV coated, and sent with first-class mail, USA only) great builder for post-cards – elements can be arranged on layers and moved freely
- PURLs = Personalized URLs that can be printed on postcards in order to track client interaction or sent by email for better personalization
- Two-way SMS messaging out-of-the-box
- No voice broadcast (but integrates with VoiceShot and CallLoop, an additional expense per month)
- Easy built-in membership site functionality within Ontraport (using PilotPress plugin for WordPress sites is optional) is included (simple but powerful functionality, it allows you to display or hide pages and content according to a contact’s membership status, pre-built campaigns included)
Infusionsoft by Keap Marketing and Automation
- “OK” drag-and-drop form and page builder. Somewhat limited in how to arrange things on the canvas. Very limited design capabilities (e.g. no transparency)
- Split testing is possible but really difficult and a LOT of work
- Decent visual campaign builder, but with very insufficient reporting capabilities
- No postcards, but letters and faxes
- No PURLs
- SMS messaging only through 3rd party add-ons (an additional expense per month). We recommend PlusThis for text messaging and dozens of other life-saving Infusionsoft by Keap enhancing features
- Includes voice and fax broadcasts (yay, fax!!)
- No membership site functionality included. You have to invest in an add-on like Memberium (widely considered best Membership plugin for Infusionsoft by Keap by certified consultants), CustomerHub, iMember360 or Wishlist Member at a monthly fee. These tool, however, have more features than the simple Ontraport functionality.
- Has no shopping cart/ storefront, only order forms. It is necessary to have a separate shopping cart. They offer integration with 1Shoppingcart and Ultracart
- Built in feature to create complete chains of up-sells and down-sells
- Individual and Group Coupon Codes In addition to general coupon codes (for everybody) you can also create personal custom codes dynamically, in the moment that you send out an email, a text message or a postcard, and set it to expire on either a fixed date or x amount of time after its creation. Powerful! Group codes can be limited how often they can be used.
- Build flexible, mobile responsive Order Forms with Ontrapages. Easily collect additional information or let people agree to terms and conditions without hiring a programmer (something that Infusionsoft by Keap has refused to implement for at least 5 years now – inexplicable)
- Stripe gateway integration out of the box
Infusionsoft by Keap Ecommerce
- Ecommerce is a module that can be added on to the starter edition
- Has a shoppingcart / storefront built in, which is pretty decent but not as feature-rich as a dedicated shopping cart product like 1Shoppingcart etc.
- Has a rather simple, targeted up-sell function inside order forms and shopping cart (similar to the “you might also like this item – add to cart?”). Building 1-click upsells is difficult or requires a 3rd party plugin.
- Only group promo codes, no individual ones. Group codes can’t be limited in number of uses.
- Ok-looking order forms that are not only not really mobile responsive but also impossible to configure without an advanced html/css/java programmer (try adding a “terms and conditions” checkbox…)
- Integrates with several payment gateways, but not Stripe. They offer their own “Stripe-like” payment processor, easy set-up and similar conditions as Stripe
- Process credit card payments through Infusionsoft by Keap mobile app and proprietary card reader
Pricing and Signup
Ontraport Pricing and Signup
- Click here to see the Ontraport Pricing Page
- Four editions: Basic, Plus, Pro and Enterprise.
- Monthly Fee: $79 (Basic), $147 (Plus), $297 (Pro), $497 (Enterprise)
- Users: 1 (Basic), 2 (Plus), 3 (Pro), 5 (Enterprise)
- Number of Contacts: 1,000 (Basic), 2,500 (Plus) 10,000 (Pro) 20,000 (Enterprise)
- Emails/month: Unlimited (Basic, Plus and Pro) 200,000 (Enterprise)
- Setup Services – Plus, Pro and Enterprise
- FREE Two hours Onboarding Consultation
- Free Postmaster Consultation (Pro and Enterprise)
- Account Management: Enterprise
- Free Support Screenshare and Live Chat during the following times: Mon – Thu 6am – 12am, Fri 6am – 9pm and Sat – Sun 9am – 9pm (all times in PST) – the most customer friendly times in the industry. The screenshare support is an industry-first. Screenshare sessions need to be scheduled using an online scheduler, and are often available immediately or within the hour.
Infusionsoft by Keap Pricing and Signup
- Infusionsoft Pricing Page
- Two edition (location-dependent) with tiered pricing structure based on the number of contacts and users
- Emails/month: Unlimited (All plans)
- Mandatory Kickstart Service at $499 or $999 or $ 1,999
- Free phone support (with free phone numbers in US, UK and AUS): Mon – Fri 6 AM to 7 PM (Arizona time) | Live Chat 24/7 (that’s the theory, but in my experience they are not always available)
- Monthly Fee: $199
- 1 User: Additional 1 user ($30/mo) | Additional 10 users ($150/mo)
- Number of Contacts: 2,500
- Add more contacts: Add 1,000 ($30/mo) | 5,000 ($130/mo) | 10,000 ($200/mo) | 25,000 ($300/mo) | 50,000 ($350/mo) | 50,000 ($350/mo) | 100,000 ($500/mo) | 150,000 ($650/mo) | 200,000 ($800/mo)
For the rest of the world:
- Monthly Fee: $159
- 1 User: Additional 1 user ($24/mo) | Additional 10 users ($120/mo)
- Number of Contacts: 2,500
- Add more contacts: Add 1,000 ($24/mo) | 5,000 ($104/mo) | 10,000 ($160/mo) | 25,000 ($240/mo) | 50,000 ($280/mo) | 100,000 ($400/mo) | 150,000 ($520/mo) | 200,000 ($640/mo)
Company and Culture
- Has been around since 2006, and as grown by 3,000% in the last 3 years
- Has a team of around 100 employees.
- Works with a “bootstrapped” budget but gets stuff done quickly, elegantly and innovatively (and it works!)
- Has won numerous “best workplace” awards.
- Ontraport CEO Landon Ray and his VP of development both personally respond to questions or concern on social media. They listen, they care, they respond, and I have seen some product feedback find its way into the product within a couple weeks
Infusionsoft by Keap Company
- Has been around since 2001 and according to their website “serves 10,000 small businesses and 145,000+ users worldwide”
- Has more than 300 employees
- Received several rounds of funding of ca. $50M each but still is inexplicably slow in providing an up-to-date, modern set of functionality. A LOT of things that are being added to the app are either half baked or don’t work at all. For the most part they stay like that for many years of forever. As someone who works all day, every day with infusionsoft, this is deeply frustrating and disappointing.
- In my experience Keap (the company) has become too big and too focused on their new “Keap” line of products, and they either don’t really care about making Infusionsoft better or they are simply unable to.